Thursday, January 15, 2009

Outside Reading #6

Fred was loved in his debutes in the movies and he continued to do them. Him and Ginger Roberts bacame a very very famous duo. They were a hit and people loved them. Fred said he was waiting for, "some small clue from the public as to whether or not they had had enough of it..."(218). There clearly was no clue and the two continued starring in movies together. They worked with the best including Irvin Berlin (White Christmas) and George Gershwin. They were loved so much that the public started to joke about why they had never kissed. They answered this by giving them what they wanted saying, "We held that kiss for about four minutes!" (234), and yes Fred is still married to Phyllis who thought it was funny. Fred learned through the years that he will hit bumps in his career and life, there's no doubt about it, but you just have to get through them. He was advised by a good friend, "...when you hit that slump, just go away, take a breather, get fresh ideas, and you'll get your second wind" (243). Fred found his way back to musicals and eventually flew overseas to play for the soldiers in the army. Fred Astaire trully was amazing. He started at a very young age a years later said, "...things just began to pop for me at about thirty. The movie career started to take off-- and now, 29 years later I'm still at it" (283). He is a good guy and ends his book saying, "I just dance" (325).
Fred endeavored on the journey of a star, and, unlike many others, was incredibly successful. He loved everything about what he did and put his entire life and passion into it. I think he's a good example of how to be trully devoted and in love with something and how to accomplish those dreams, unlike Flick in "The Ex-Basketball Player" by John Updike. Everyone can fulfill dreams if they try and work hard enough. I really liked this book, I feel like I know him now so if you're ever looking for an entertaining book about the journey to becoming a star read "Steps In Time".

Astaire, Fred. Steps In Time. New York: HarperCollins, 1959.

8 comments:

Paige J. said...

Tina this was a great last post!! You did a great job of summing up the book, but leaving the feeling of wanting to read this book. Your analysis was even better because you were able to analyze you last section and the whole book at the same time. After following your posts on this book im compelled to read this book!

Emily Fl. said...

That was a great summary of the book. By the way, it seems very interesting. I like how passionate Fred is, and I liked the quote you picked where he was talking about getting through his slump. He didn't quit like so many people usually do, and he kept on going and keeping a positive attitude that things would get better, and they did. Good job!

Spenser said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spenser said...

Very nice! I like how you tied up the book in this last post, it was very neat and made sense. I love the end of this book how Fred picks himself back up. You analyzed very well and you picked up on themes that I didn't catch when I read the book over the summer. It was interesting to hear your views on the book so thank you and good job!

Anonymous said...

This seems like a very good book. The ending gives people hope that they can achieve their dreams. Your analysis at the end makes it clear that with true devotion, success is possible. I hope I can be that devoted some day and I hope dance is successful for you too!

Kate J said...

This reminds me a great deal of the movie, Singing in the Rain. He sounds like a very interesting man. Still, I don't think Froelich will agree about everyone acheiving their dreams. Have you seen the "Potential" poster up in her room?

Andrea said...

I think it is amazing how Fred has learned not to let the bad times bother him, but instead just keep picking himself up and starting over again until he has found his rhythm again. I think everyone could learn a lesson from that, especially perfectionists like me

Ted M. said...

I got a feeling of the whole book and how the author was able to succeed, however I missed any ethical decisions he had to make. Was there anything that specifically hard for him to choose from? This book sounds inspirational.